Einstein and God

Home Forums Learning Forum Einstein and God

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

A Christian

My friend sent this document about Albert Einstein and God. What do you think of it.

I’ve sent you the document via your HelpDesk. It’s headed The Atheist Professor Story…….. and the first line is:

An atheist professor of philosophy speaks to his class on the problem science has with God, The Almighty.

Keith Taylor
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1,015.48

Thank you for the Albert Einstein document. I noticed it included a link to the website it came from, so I read some of that website, as well as your story.

I have to say, my first reaction was sceptical. And, I haven’t posted the full story. Here’s why:

1. I Googled that first line, and found the story on many websites, and in printed texts. So, anyone wishing to read it in full, can find it easily. I should warn readers that the websites that I looked at were full of lies, half-truths, and opinions presented as facts.

2. I Googled the title, and found, among similar exposés, Atheist professor myth:

The atheist professor myth is an urban legend, often told through chain emails, in which an atheist professor attempts to disprove the existence of God and is subsequently embarrassed by a wise Christian student in front of the whole class.
    Despite the strawman nature of the professor and the often-fallacious arguments used by the student, especially the claim that evil is the absence of God, this myth has become quite popular among Christians for decades and variations of it predate the internet.
    The most famous variation claims the student to be a young Albert Einstein.

Now that, in itself, does not mean your story is useless. But, it’s far better to discuss such religious concepts of duality between good and evil without misleading fables. Or, I might say that the absence of truth does not mean the concepts in the story are wrong.

More important to me, are other real quotes from Einstein on the page your document is lifted from. Also, there are interesting snippets. Unfortunately, the page is a long collection of information that has been copied from various sources, without attribution. I’m not going to attribute the following quotation, as I cannot find the original source.

In Einstein’s theory of relativity, E=mc2, he postulates that mass is equivalent to energy. Both space and time, deduced Einstein, are no longer absolutes. Consider his theory in light of the Vedanta system of Hindu philosophy. All matter throughout the universe is the outcome of one primal matter called akasha. Moreover, all force, whether gravitational or electromagnetic, is the outcome of one cosmic energy called prana. Prana acting on akasha is creating or projecting the universe. Einstein had thus proven mathematically what Vedantists had known for years. Some theologians have taken the theory of relativity one step further, speculating that Einstein’s mass-energy equivalence also accounts for energy and matter as true functions of each other. A God of pure energy could thus become an avatar a doctrine held by some Hindus, Tibetan Buddhists and Christians.

And, from Einstein himself, we have:

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. To that extent I am, in point of fact, religious.

Researching that quote led me to Einstein on God and Religion. In my opinion, that is a much higher quality discussion about Einstein and God. Heiser makes clear distinction between recorded facts, and his own values and opinions.

I hope more readers will join this interesting discussion. Remember, it’s much easier to post here yourself. But, if you get stuck, ask for help on how to use this forum via my Helpdesk.

You should Connect to Shrewdies to reply to this topic.

Simply click one of the buttons above to connect using your favourite network. Then, a box will appear here for you to post your reply.