Chromebook lock screen

Home Forums Learning Forum Internet Learning Forum Chromebook lock screen

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

Keith Taylor
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1,015.48

I’m fed up of having to type my password into Chromebook after a few minutes inactivity. Is there anyway to extend the time before Chromebok logs me off?

Anna
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 47.85

Chromebook doesn’t have the power management options available in Windows. But, there are ways to keep Chromebook screen on.

The most popular way is to install the Keep Awake Chrome extension. I haven’t tried it. Yet, it looks simple, with 3 settings: Inactive; Avoid Sleep; or, Screen Always On.

The second popular way is to delve into Chromebook development mode. That’s not an area I wish to investigate.

What nobody seems to mention, or Google hasn’t found yet, is to look at Android Apps. Now, some Android Apps are phone-specific. They might be flagged as not-installable on Chromebook (“Your device isn’t compatible with this version”). Or, they might just be flagged “Suitable for phones). KinScreen is my favorite phone app for managing Screen Lock. But, it isn’t compatible with Chromebook.

I tried an app called Stay Alive!. So far, it seems to do everything needed for preventing Chromebook screen from timing out. If anyone wants an in-depth review, please ask. You might also want to ask about how to ensure Stay Alive is always available when you reboot your Chromebook. It has a separate Auto Exec app. And, most Chromebook users will benefit from installing both.

Anna
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 47.85

After several weeks using the Stay Alive app, I’m happy to report that it has performed well. However, the related Auto Exec app isn’t as good on Chromebook. So, I uninstalled it. That does mean getting into the habit of always running Stay Alive when restarting Chromebook after shutdown. I found that very easy, especially as I pinned Stay Alive to my Chromebook Shelf.

Keith Taylor
    Participant

Thanks Anna. I’ve also used Stay Alive now. And, I came to the same conclusion about the Auto Exec app.

I’m still loving my Chromebook, and the Stay Alive app you recommended makes it even nicer to use.

Keith Taylor
    Participant

Actually, I’ve just thought about this issue further. And, I’ve uninstalled Stay Alive! Because, I’m worried about the security implications.

Normally, I use my Chromebook at home. So, having to retype my password every time I take a break, is inconvenient. But, I also take it with me if I expect to work. Consequently, having the screen unlocked all the time could be a security issue. Though I realize that I should close the screen, there might be circumstances when I forget.

You should Connect to Shrewdies to reply to this topic.

Simply click one of the buttons above to connect using your favourite network. Then, a box will appear here for you to post your reply.